Why divebooker? ‘Cause:
Free cancellationMost offers allow cancellation of your booking up to several days before the date booked without penalties.
Best price guaranteedAll prices are published by the dive centers themselves with commitment that you get the lowest price available for any item you book.
Book directly with a dive centerBooking via Divebooker means booking directly with a dive center based on their firsthand knowledge avoiding any intermediary mark-up.
Must-See Dive Sites
Diving in Koh Tao
When to go to Koh Tao
Diving is possible at all times of the year, although visibility changes depending on the season.
The best season to dive here is from May to September.
The water temperatures range between 26-30C/79-86F and the currents are generally minimal.
The average air temperature varies from 25-33C/77-91F.
The water visibility is 5-25m/16-82ft.
An occasional whale shark can be seen in March-April and September-October.
What to see
Big schools of fish and lots of busy reef life activity can be seen there. Marine life is abundant and includes corals, barrel sponges, sea whips, blue-ringed angelfish, turtles, shrimpfish, occasional manta rays, seasonal whale sharks, huge grouper, whale sharks, gray sharks, blacktip sharks, bull sharks, schools of barracudas, tuna, mackerel, and much more.
Scuba diving in Koh Tao
Koh Tao is an island in Thailand forms part of the Chumphon Archipelago on the western shore of the Gulf of Thailand. The closest airport is Chumphon Airport from where you got to get to Koh Tao by boat. The name Koh Tao means "Turtle Island" as the island is an important breeding ground for hawksbill and green turtles. The main settlement is Ban Mae Hat. The economy of the island is almost exclusively based on tourism, especially scuba diving. Koh Tao now offers some of the best scuba diving in the Gulf of Thailand. It is fringed by coral reefs, deeper offshore pinnacles, and sheltered bays that provide perfect conditions for novices, while more advanced divers can visit the deeper sites. It is home to over 20 dive sites.
For novices, photographers, and macro critter hunters who love the shallow calm bays, the best dive sites are Aow Leuk, Japanese Gardens, and Mango Bay. The sites for intermediate divers are Laem Thien, Nangyuan Pinnacle, Shark Island, Twins, Sail Rock, and White Rock, with their colorful reefs and inhabitants. Sites for more experienced divers are Chumphon Pinnacle, South West Pinnacle, Green Rock, Hin Wong, where divers will spot a great variety of marine species. For the wreck lovers, there is an amazing wreck - the HTMS Sattakut, which sank in June 2011.
13 dive centers nearby
- PADI, 100% AWARE, PADI 5* Instructor Development Center, PADI Dive Resort 14 m away Simple Life Divers
- BSAC, PADI, Green Star AWARD, PADI Dive Center, SSI, TDI 271 m away Big Blue Diving Koh Tao
- SSI 542 m away Roctopus Dive
13 dive centers nearby
- PADI, 100% AWARE, PADI 5* Instructor Development Center, PADI Dive Resort 228 m away Simple Life Divers
- BSAC, PADI, Green Star AWARD, PADI Dive Center, SSI, TDI 481 m away Big Blue Diving Koh Tao
- SSI 784 m away Roctopus Dive
14 dive centers nearby
- BSAC, PADI, Green Star AWARD, PADI Dive Center, SSI, TDI 11 m away Big Blue Diving Koh Tao
- PADI, 100% AWARE, PADI 5* Instructor Development Center, PADI Dive Resort 280 m away Simple Life Divers
- SSI 371 m away Roctopus Dive
3.89 km away
- No Nitrox
- Not required Transferfrom recommended hotels
3.73 km away
- No Nitrox
- No Transferfrom recommended hotels