There have always been mixed feelings when it comes to sharks. They give rise to both fear and excitement, and make us feel obsessed, terrified, and thrilled at the same time. Observing these mystifying and attractive underwater creatures up close is probably on every diver’s bucket list. We can help you get one step closer to the wild environment on a liveaboard diving safari. Here are our top 5 most exciting spots to dive with sharks.
1. Cocos Island, Costa Rica. Cocos definitely deserves its status as one of the best diving destinations on earth, and it’s surely the best spot to dive with hammerhead sharks. Hundreds of giant hammerheads are schooling around the island in the summer months. Be both emotionally and technically prepared for the adventure of your life–you need to be very skilled to go on one of these challenging dives.
2. Galápagos Islands, Ecuador. It’s impossible not to mention this legendary marine protected area, where sharks are a part of the wild, underwater action of the big pelagics. The whale shark season is June through November. The best time for hammerhead shark action is from January to May.
3. Fiji. Commonly known as the soft coral capital of the world, Fiji has a unique Shark Reef Marine Reserve that is home to 8 different species of sharks, including bull sharks and tiger sharks. Called a “shark corridor” and spread between Beqa Lagoon and the Pacific Harbour on Viti Levu, this must-see shark dive spot will definitely be the icing on the cake for your experience in Fiji.
4. Guadalupe Island, Mexico. Here you can dive with great white sharks. It is even more special because you are literally locked in a cage. Cage diving is on the bucket list of many adventurous divers, and out of the few places in the world that offer this breathtaking experience, Guadalupe Island is definitely the best spot!
5. Tiger Beach, Bahamas. Although the crystal waters on the Bahamas are home to many pieces of sharks, such as bull sharks, hammerheads, and lemon sharks, you can have special experiences here with tiger sharks. These residents of Tiger Beach, Grand Bahama will join you for an open-water dive on that white sand bottom. You will need all your courage. Ready, set, go!
How useful was this post?
Click on a star to rate it!
Average rating 5 / 5. Vote count: 1